Friday, November 1, 2013

Diary of a Vegas Vacation: Entry Three, Housekeeping & Fishnets


Days two and three sort of blend together.  I woke up on day two with the street preacher still fresh in my mind, and an unusual, ministerial energy that I hadn’t felt before.  Like there was purpose today and something was going to happen; like maybe I was supposed to make something happen.  I intended to use part of my interruption-free time to work on some other writing projects that I had been moving too slowly on and sat down at the desk in our hotel room (I don’t mind saying it was a NICE hotel room) to do just that.  I ended up beginning this series instead. 

As I was wrapping up the first post it was around lunch time and I decided I would take my laptop somewhere with Wi-Fi and post the first entry while I had lunch.  As I was saving and closing down, housekeeping came to the door.  I smiled at her and assured her it was ok to come in, I would be leaving in a few minutes anyways.  Her name was Olivia and her smile and demeanor were friendly and confidant and not at all subservient or like she had to pretend I was better than her.  I was glad for that; I hate it when people act like that with me.  And I felt that this was something.  I decided to strike up a conversation.  An oddity for me since I hate conversation because I feel so inept at it, but this day was anointed and I planned to press in and find out why.

As I packed up my stuff to head out I made small talk (which I don’t generally know how to do, so it MUST have been God) and asked how long she had worked at the hotel.  She had worked there since August.  She had been blessed to get the job with no prior experience after the printer she worked at let her go after many years of service.  She had developed fibromyalgia and so they had found a reason so as not to incur extra benefits costs.

Her biggest worry was her oldest son.  Her 24 year old son had started doing drugs some time back.  It started with marijuana, and she had learned that it had progressed to heroin.  She had a hard time not blaming herself and wondering what she had done wrong.  She had tried everything but the boy didn’t really want help yet.  She had taken him to a treatment center but he left after only four hours. 

Brian (that is her son's name), had two little girls who are old enough now to know that something isn’t right with daddy, and his girlfriend (the children’s mother) has given up on him.  The thing that Olivia found to be both perplexing and an assurance was that Brian had always been the one most in the Word and knew his Bible inside and out.  He had taught her everything she knew about faith and had been the one to make her faith strong.  And yet here he was now telling her to stop praying for him, that God wasn’t going to help; that he was already lost, had sold his soul and now had to worship Satan. But it also meant that he had a foundation.  He knew the truth.

Her church, Victory Church, had a strong recovery program with a smart pastor.  He was there for her to lean on and was helping her to realize that nothing would help Brian until he wanted help.  But she should keep praying and not give up.  She wished she could get to church more but weekends were the busiest time for the hotels.

I knew her room quota and schedule were probably tighter than UPS’s and I didn’t want to get her in trouble, so rather than pray with her there I assured her that I would pray for both her son and her fibromyalgia (which the doctors had said in 2009 was so bad she wouldn’t be able to use her hands much longer (but look at her now, praise God).  So I parted company with Olivia.

To get where I was going I had to leave the hotel and head up to a pedestrian overpass to cross Las Vegas Blvd.  These bridges were spacious, wide and full of people pedaling things.  On these bridges, as well as on every street corner, were people promoting the bars and clubs.  They did so by trying to hand out drink coupons with pictures of naked girls provocatively posed.  Only about half of these promoters where male.  Many of the females were short, squat little old ladies.  Maybe somebody’s grandmother.  But there were younger girls, too.  And they were usually dressed for the part. 

As I came to the other side of the bridge I started down the escalator.  But as soon as I stepped onto it my mind finally registered the girl I had just walked by and seen purely in my peripheral vision.  I didn’t notice her until it was too late to stop, and turning back would have made me look creepy.  But once she registered, the image was clear.  She had been standing next to the escalator leaned up against the bridge rail, one foot up against the wall behind her like some gunslinger in a clichéd western.  She was young, mid-twenties maybe, with long, straight dark hair down to the middle of her back.  She had on aviator sunglasses, was holding a fake police baton, wearing a fake badge, a police-looking bikini top, black bikini bottoms, fishnet stockings and mid-calve boots.

As soon as she registered in my mind (Vegas is kind of keep-your-eyes-to-yourself kind of place unless you want to get taken for something), I realized I missed an opportunity for another something. It was quite windy out and the temperature was just barely on the positive side of comfortable for me in a long sleeved shirt and sweater.  Had I seen her sooner I would have asked jovially, “Aren’t you cold?”  In my mind I could see the smile.  It would be the same one all the girls wore.  It would be full of well-practiced genuiness.  Not flirtatious, but with warmth and seemingly sincere happiness to see you.   Vegas girls could make money as smile consultants, teaching service staff around the country how to flash that smile.   She would have answered honestly enough. “A little.”  “How long do you have to stand out here?” I would have asked next.  And she’d have answered.  “What do you do in December?”  Answer.  “How long have you lived in Vegas?” Answer.  “Are you going to school or something?  Must have an important goal to be standing out here freezing like this.”  This is how the conversation would begin, and I would have learned her story.  What it was that made her do what she did.  No little girl says that when she grows up she wants to stand on a crowded walk-way in next to nothing, getting ogled, mentally undressed, and probably ‘accidentally’ groped by guys ‘accidentally’ getting jostled into her by the crowd. Maybe it was the only way she could find to pay for school.  Maybe her parents had shuffled her out of the house as soon as she turned 18.  Maybe she got pregnant at 16 or 17 and her parents had thrown her out and now she had a kid at home to feed.  Maybe she ran away from home, to get away from the abuse, and found that exploiting her only known asset was the only way for her to survive.  I would have learned all those things about this otherwise anonymous girl, who was standing on the Vegas strip and hoping that this would be as far as she would ever have to go in using her body to make money.

How much would she have appreciated that conversation?  A conversation that was about her as a person.  A conversation that didn’t begin “hey baby,” or end with “When you gettin’ off tonight?”  A conversation with someone who looked her in the eye the entire time and then moved on, no motives.  What kind of hope might that have left her with?  There were many girls like her along the strip, but it was only her that I had had a strong conviction that I needed to start a conversation with.  A something missed.

In the end the day played out pretty much like that.  I had places to be that evening and I needed to get back and get ready.  I should have had more than one Olivia that day but I missed the other opportunities.  The day had been anointed but I wasted that anointing.  Not too big a deal; it happens from time to time.  Especially when it’s for something totally new to you (like talking and conversing).  Upon reflection I know that I didn’t give in to my wife asking me to go with her – I had given in to God.  Upon reflection I know that the disappointment a couple months before at deciding not to go was really that feeling you get when you have just made a decision that was opposite what God was telling you to make.  Upon reflection I know that it was a vacation that was not supposed to be a vacation.

They say that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.  But something about Vegas didn’t stay there.  Something about Vegas nags at me, and I can’t quite put my finger on it.  Jesus looked out at the crowds and said that “the harvest is so great, but the workers are so few.” (NLT.  Matt. 9:37 [or, if you don’t like Matthew, Luke 10:2; but who doesn’t like Matthew?]).  For three days I walked Las Vegas Blvd and saw so many sheep in need of a shepherd, and none in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment